General Emergency First Aid/CPR & Pet Health and Safety Resources
If a person stops breathing or if their blood flow ceases, their life is in danger. Because not enough oxygen is reaching the brain, permanent brain damage or even death could result. One method often used in attempts to avoid such tragic outcomes is a technique called cardiopulmonary resuscitation.
CPR aims to prevent brain damage and keep blood flowing through the body. First, the rescuer calls 911. Then, they can administer CPR, which usually involves giving chest compressions and rescue breaths until emergency medical services arrive on the scene.
It is recommended that the chest compressions be at least five centimeters deep, performed at a rate of about 100 per minute. The goal is to keep blood circulating through the body by artificially pumping the heart by hand. Rescue breaths are used to force air into the lungs. Recently, however, there has been more emphasis placed on the chest compressions, as any break in blood flow can be dangerous. CPR is a fairly simple procedure that can mean the difference between life and death.
Safety, EMS, First Aid and CPR Links
- Lower Frederick Fire Company - Fire Safety and CPR Training Links - The Lower Frederick Fire Company provides a collection of helpful resources related to fire prevention, CPR, and general safety.
- Fire Service and CPR Certification Resources - This page on the Wheat Ridge Fire Protection District's website offers a number of useful links about fire safety and CPR training.
- Fire Rescue and CPR Training Links from the Union Bridge Fire Company - This page includes many fire and EMS equipment and training links.
- Resources - Wilderness Survival, First Aid Kits, and CPR Certification - This page on an Australian survival website contains links to valuable resources related to wilderness survival, including first aid kits and CPR certification.
- Delaware Healthcare Association - Online Medical Training and CPR Courses - The Delaware Healthcare Association shares links to online courses in the medical field, including CPR certification.
- EMS Week | CPR and General Safety Educational Resources - The educational links included here cover topics related to public health issues, including injury prevention and CPR.
- Useful CPR and EMS Links - The District 1 EMS Council of Northwest Florida supplies a multitude of great links concerning emergency medical services and general health.
- Fire Safety and CPR Informational Links - Dover City Fire/Rescue - Dover City Fire/Rescue has collected a number of informational links related to firefighting and first responder safety.
- Hoags Corners Fire District #1: CPR and Emergency Services Links - This page on the Hoags Corners Fire District's website has many resources on CPR training and emergency services.
- Fire Safety and CPR Links for Kids - Malta and McConnelsville Fire Department has amassed many fun and educational resources regarding fire safety and CPR appropriate for children.
- Fire Safety and CPR Information Links - The Upper Mountain Volunteer Fire Company shares some great informational links for kids.
- Childcare, First Aid, and CPR Resources - On this page, the Central District Health Department of Idaho provides helpful childcare and health links.
- Fire, Emergency, CPR, and First Aid Links - The city of Downey, CA, offers some great resources related to public health issues.
- Safety Education Links - The North Carolina Industrial Commission has gathered many great educational links about public health and safety.
- Links to Fire and Life Safety Websites - This page includes a list of great fire and life safety links from the City of Fairfield, CA.
- First Aid Information - This page contains a lot of helpful information and links about first aid from MedlinePlus.
- First Aid Kits - This page from the National Ag Safety Database website explains what should be included in a first aid kit.
- First Aid Procedures - This page from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention explains how to administer first aid in various situations.
- Learn First Aid - The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services has put together a page to teach individuals the basics of first aid.
- First Aid for Choking - This educational PDF from the New York State Department of Health details what steps to take in the event someone near you is choking.
- Hands Only CPR - This page on the Baltimore County website discusses the Hands Only CPR technique and contains links to more information.
Pet Wellness, First Aid, and CPR
- Animal Wellness and Pet CPR Resources - This page on the Central Pennsylvania Animal Alliance's website provides excellent links to resources about pet adoption and general animal wellness.
- Dane Health: Great Dane Health, CPR, First Aid, and Wellness Links - Chocolate Danes R Us offers a great collection of helpful links concerning pet health and wellness, specifically geared toward the owners of Great Danes.
- Golden Retriever Links: First Aid, CPR, and Competitions - The Badger Golden Retriever Club's website has a page for informational links regarding Golden Retriever health issues and dog competitions.
- Animal First Aid and Pet Care Resources - Walk & More 4 Pets has assembled an impressive amount of educational animal wellness links for pet owners.
- Greyt Links - Greyhound Health, First Aid, and CPR - This page has a multitude of useful animal health resources from Greyhound Pets of Arizona.
- Holding Paws: Recommended Dog Health Resources - This page contains a vast array of useful pet health links.
- Dachsund Nutrition, Medicine, First Aid, and CPR Links - The official website of the Dachsund Club of America Health & Welfare Trust Fund supplies many links related to Dachsund health.
- The Arissells Jack Russell Terrier Kennel: Heath, CPR, and General Interest Links - Visit this page for a number of interesting dog links.
- Relaxing Rex - Canine Massage and Wellness Links - The resources on this page include many useful links to sites about pet health, including veterinarian services and pet first aid and CPR.
- Framheim German Shepherds - Helpful Pet Health, CPR, Training, and Diet Links - This page lists a multitude of links to pages that a German Shepherd owner will find helpful.
- Caring for Animals - This page discusses what to do to care for your pets during an emergency.
- First Aid Tips for Pet Owners - The American Veterinary Medical Association has put together this page of information and resources related to first aid for pets.
- What You Should Have in Your Pet's First Aid Kit - This page from the Humane Society of the United States goes over items animal owners should include in their pet first aid kits.
- What should I include in my pet's first aid kit? - The ASPCA discusses what to include in a pet first aid kit.
- Pet first aid at the touch of a finger - This article from the Penn Current discusses the pet first aid app developed by the American Red Cross.
- Make Your Own Pet First Aid Kit - The University of Illinois College of Veterinary Medicine put together this PDF to assist pet owners in creating pet first aid kits.
- Pet First Aid - This page on the Cornell University College of Veterinary Medicine has a lot of great information regarding pet first aid.
- Dos and Don'ts in Pet First Aid - The North Carolina State University College of Veterinary Medicine created this PDF containing clear instructions for pet first aid.